817 Minnesota Avenue

Zelotis Henry Haney purchased these lots for $50 each on Dec 9, 1899 from the Bemidji Townsite Company. He may have already built his place on them in 1898, as the written transaction sometimes postdated the gentlemen’s agreement. He didn’t get around to filing the deeds until Feb 2. 1903. He probably had to catch up on the paperwork so that he could sell the property to James Cahill.

James Cahill came to Bemidji about 1900 and was the father of Sheriff John Cahill. He was originally a cruiser for some of the timber companies. In 1908, he was appointed Warden for the State Game and Fish Commission. In 1910, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff. He and his family lived at 817 Minnesota Avenue from 1904 – 1910. They moved to 1006 Doud Avenue (Birchmont Drive).

J. C. Courtney and family lived here in 1911-1912. Mr. Courtney was employed by the Charles Nangle Department store. They moved to 411 Minnesota avenue in August 1912.

There were several quick changes in occupants as indicated by the social notes in the Pioneer.

Mrs. A. A Kruger, who has been confined to her home, 817 Minnesota avenue, by sickness, is reported unimproved. (May 25, 1916)

Mary Montague, widow of John (1916-1917)

Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Gray and family have moved to 817 Minnesota avenue from 523 Minnesota avenue. (Oct 22, 1917) W. A. Gray and family will move from 817 Minnesota avenue to 506 Beltrami avenue, the residence formerly occupied by Mr. and Mrs. George Edwards. (Dec 8, 1917)

Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus N. Shannon have leased their farm to Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Charboneau and are making their home at 817 Minnesota avenue. (Mar 18, 1918)

The Shannons stayed for about three years. Their daughter Marjorie was married at the home on May 16, 1920. Marjorie graduated from BHS with the class of 1916 and worked as a stenographer for the Northern Grocery Co. The groom, R. George Mawhinney, was an employee of the First National Bank. After the ceremony, a buffet luncheon was served and the couple were escorted to the depot, and took the noon train for Deer River, Mr. Mawhinney’s former home where they attended the marriage of his sister, Miss Mary Mawhinney.

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Brownlee, 125 Mill Park, purchased the residence in October 1921. He was a watchman at the lumbermill in 1920. Their daughter Pearl married Clifford Montague on Nov 28, 1920. The house was then shared for at least 20 years by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Brownlee and by Clifford and Pearl (Brownlee) Montague. Clifford Montague was President of Palace Meat & Grocery in the late 1930s and died Nov 23, 1940. Mrs. Pearl Montague lived until Sept 29, 1983, although not in this house.

Kathryn Montague was born April 25, 1922 in Bemidji to Francis and Pearl (Brownlee) Montague and grew up in this house. She attended Central Elementary School and graduated from Bemidji High School, then attended French’s Business College in Bemidji. She married Jule “Red” Basinger Nov. 28, 1945. In 1972 she and her husband began construction of the KOA Kampground in Bemidji and moved to Bemidji upon its completion and opening in 1973. They had owned and operated it at least until her death in 1995 and received numerous awards through the years for the campground and their work there.

Harry W. Curran and wife Laura. He was an agent for the Socony Vacuum Oil Co. (1953)

Melvin Pollish (1956-1958) At the time, he was manager of the F. W. Woolworth Company in Bemidji.

Mr. and Mrs. James LaMont owned the house by 1960 [Bless the old Bemidji phone books!]. He was manager of the Paul Bunyan Rural Telephone Company. Jeri Fuller, a later owner, said that Mr. Lamont worked for the telephone company & there was a phone in EVERY room even the bathrooms.

In 1966, Mrs. James LaMont accepted the keys to her new Mustang from Harvey Groslie, co-owner of Groslie-Lowth Ford. Mrs. Lamont was named a regional winner of the auto in a Bubble Up national contest by guessing closest the number of lemons and limes contained in the auto. Looking on through snow at the presentation were Glenn Stevens, owner of Bemidji Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Bubble Up distributors in the area, and Ken Dunlap, Groslie-Lowth salesman. (Dec 22, 1966)

James LaMont died at Bemidji Hospital on Feb 29,1976. Mrs. Evelyn Lamont lived in the house until her death in 1988.

Doug Fuller (1990-2002)

Doug and Jeri (Hakala) Fuller (1995 –2002)

Non-Homestead, Residential (2020)