700 Minnesota Avenue

J. W. Irwin, president of the Beltrami County Agricultural society, and an enthusiastic horseman, lived here with his wife Hattie and a baby in 1905. In 1906, he acquired one of the fastest harness mares in the state, “Isinetta.” In doing so, he traded “Dan P” and a considerable cash balance.

In 1909, Waldron W. Browne and wife Bertha owned the property. They advertised a building 16×32, new sills siding and floors, for $300 cash if moved at once. Waldron Browne owned and operated the Amstrong Café. They had twin girls, Verna and Vera born on April 27, 1908 in Bemidji. A new single family dwelling was built in 1910. The building is a two-story stucco home on a corner lot.

In December 1910, Browne purchased the Orpheum Vaudeville Theatre in Jamestown, North Dakota, only to suffer a major fire the very first night of his venture. . The stage and all its scenery was totally destroyed and the smoke and water damaged the whole building that was not touched by the fire.

In honor of the 46th anniversary of his birth, a party was given W. W. Brown at his Minnesota avenue home in September 1911. Mr. Brown was presented with a rare and beautiful gift in the form of elks’ teeth cuff buttons. A birthday dinner was served, the tables being decorated, Elks-colors predominating. Toasts were drunk to the continued health, happiness and prosperity of Mr. Brown. The family moved to Stony Plains, Alberta, Canada in 1912.

Philip Gill and his wife lived there from 1912-1914.

Gordon and Edith Harnwell were residents from 1916 onward. He was manager of a lumber company in Bemidji. The Women’s Home Missionary society of the Methodist church met at the G. W. Harnwell home on Oct 4, 1917. The Home Guards and Mother Jewels of the Methodist church met there on May 4, 1918. They moved to 923 Beltrami Avenue in 1919. Their children were George, Howard, Alice, Lillian, and Jean.

Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Parker and family moved from 906 Mississippi Avenue to this home in April 1919. In 1920, the residents were John C. Parker and wife Sylvia, daughters Josephine and Ella Parker; and a lodger named Abbie Murphy.

“Corporal Mayer is calling pretty regularly at 700 Minnesota avenue, boys. First it’s one and then the other. He must be a good diplomat.” (June 17, 1920) Was Corporal Mayer courting one or both of the Parker daughters?

Dr. and Mrs. D. F. McCann and family moved in from their summer cottage at Birchmont to their residence at 700 Minnesota Avenue in August 1923 and lived there until 1925.

James DeGarmo Stout and wife Selma lived at this residence from 1935-1951. In 1925, he was employed by J.C. Penney in Bemidji. He lived at Grand Forks Bay in 1927. He became manager of Penney’s in Bemidji in 1929. He was a Past commander of the American Legion. He was included in Who’s Who in Minnesota, 1942.

President Charles Sattgast and his wife Bertha moved to this house between 1951 – 1953. At this time work was progressing on the new laboratory school which opened in 1950 and Bemidji State Teachers College was entering the greatest period of growth and expansion in its history. Mrs. Bertha Sattgast died in 1957. Dr. Sattgast remarried in 1959. Under his guidance the college campus grew from 20 acres to 74 acres. A graduate program was started and was flourishing in 1964. He encouraged a start of the liberal arts programs. Plans were on the drawing board for the A.C. Clark library at the time of his death. He sincerely wanted Bemidji State to be and felt that it was “the friendly college.” Charles Sattgast died in 1964. After Sattgast’s death, Mable Sattgast remained in Bemidji in this house, where she stayed active in civic affairs. In August 1974, she was named Bemidji’s Woman of the Year and the city’s outstanding senior citizen. She left Bemidji and headed for California in 1975.

The house was then occupied by Duane Moran, area forest supervisor of the State Division of Forestry, and Ann (Bourdon) Moran. Ann was married to Duane Moran for more than 50 years, a union that was blessed with six children. Ann’s greatest accomplishment was opening her own antique shop in downtown Bemidji, which she ran for 28 years. Despite the complications that Ann faced with her illness, she continued to manage “AnnTiques” until two months before her death on Nov 17, 2012.

Ann was an incredibly generous person and found great pleasure in scouting rummage sales for not only antiques, but toys, clothing and treasures for her grandkids. She knew what every grandchild collected and loved contributing to their hobbies. Ann was an accomplished cook, a trait she passed down to all six of her children, which made her extremely proud.

The house changed owners in 2017.