Aligator (1913)

RAISING FLAT CARS FROM LAKE
Crookston Lumber Company Men Hoisting Cars at End of Dock
Many Crookston Lumber Company employees together with the crew of men employed on the steamship “Aligator” are now engaged in raising the flat cars from the bottom of the lake at the end of the log pier, near the Crookston Mill. The cars broke through the bumper last spring and have been at the bottom of the lake all summer, A large hoisting machine is being used to raise the cars. (Oct 13, 1913)


Beltrami

Among the better boats are those owned by John Kelsey, “The Beltrami,” a new $4,000 boat he has built this winter, when completed will be the very finest of its kind in northern Minnesota. The “Indian Girl” is another Kelsey boat. “The Storm King”, the “Yankee Doodle”  and launches owned by A. P. Chandler, A. A. Warfield, Harry Masten, F. S. Lycan, M. S. Gillette and Gill Brothers are among the high class boats that will be seen on Lake Bemidji. (May 1911)


Bemidji Star

The Lake Bemidji passenger boat Bemidji Star will be stationed at Birchmont this summer, according to announcement made by George A. Port, licensed operator. The boat may be chartered at any time, however. It will operate from the Third street dock in Bemidji July 4th and will run two regular excursions every Sunday, commencing July 5, leaving Bemidji at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, July 3, 1925)


Bertha

J.J. Trask next season will launch on Lake Bemidji the swellest kind of a steamer. Mr. Kelsey, our local designer, has built for him a model for said boat and for lines and shape it is the neatest thing in the boat line we have ever seen. The boat will be about the size of the Shadow in length35 feet but wider, with a cabin or awning. First-class material and hardwood finish will be used. An 8 or 10 horse power steam engine will propel it at the rate of 12 miles an hour at least. In fact, the boat will be built for speed being duck shaped, but with its bow forming a perfect wedge, and the stern oval. The new steamer will be a dandy and no mistake and will form an addition to our lake fleet that will open the eyes of even Lake Minnetonka habitués. (Oct 25, 1900)

For Sale: A new sailboat, sloop rigered, nineteen feet over all, six foot beam, finished in white pine, oak and ash. Inquire of J. J. TRASK. (May 16, 1901)

The Latest Steamer.
J. J. Trask’s new steamer, the “Bertha.” the finest and largest steamer on the lake, is now in commission and will be used as Commodore Reynold’s flagship tomorrow night in the naval battle. The Bertha was designed by J. W. Kelsey of this city, and was built by J. J. Trask during the past winter. The boat is 38 feet in length, 9 feet beam and 9 tons displacement. The engine is a 12-horsepower, double cylinder Westinghouse, with 15-horse-power boiler of the latest pattern. The propeller is 28 inches in diameter with three flukes. It is the most thorough sea-going boat on the lake, and is capable of carrying 40 people. It is handsomely trimmed with oak, and its total cost is about $1,200. (May 16, 1901)

This boat was part of the tragedy that occurred the next day during the celebration of the 17th of May on Lake Bemidji, when several young men died.

In deference to the deaths that occurred, there were no further celebrations at the lakefront for several years.

Edward Trask expects to launch his passenger boat, the “Bertha” sometime this week. (1904)


Brooks Sailboat (1912)

When the ice in Lake Bemidji went out last week, it took the W. L. Brooks $150 sailboat along. Mayne Stanton and A.L. Barker attempted to rescue it but without success and so far as Mr. Brooks knows the boat is now keeping company with Harry Masten’s launch, “Keemar” which sank last summer. (May 3, 1912)


City of Bemidji

Mrs. F. H. Lambert and Mrs. W. B. McLachlan entertained very prettily yesterday afternoon at a boating party. The City of Bemidji, which had been chartered for the afternoon was one mass of color, red, white and blue being the color scheme used. The trip was made to the dam where a short stop was made. On the return trip a dainty lunch was served. Each guest was given a little flag as a souvenir of the party. The guest list included Mesdames E. H. Smith, J. A. Younggren, W. P. Dyer, R. L. Given, E. H. Denu, E. E. McDonald, B. W. Lakin, E. N Ebert, E. F. Stevens, G. W. Rhea, J. P. Lahr, J. J. Opsahl, W. C. Klein, E. A. Barker, W N. Bowser, L-. A. Ward, F. S. Arnold, W. L. Brooks, A. P. White, W. A. Currie, R. Gilmore, W. A. White, P. A. Hoffman, A. N. Bagley, E. H. Winter, Mary Plummer, T. J. Welsh, A. G. Wedge, E. F. Netzer, G. M. Palmer, G. W. Campbell, J.W. Naugle, H. P. Dunning, D. L. Stanton ,G H. French, E. H. Marcum, Wm. McCuaig, J. P. Riddell, C. Johnson, H. Koors, Mclver, A. A. Lord, C. R. Sanborn, Lee King, L. H. Bailey, H. Scharf, T. C. Bailey, C. W. Jewett, and Misses Ida Bailey, Clara Fisk and Belle Lambert of Royalton, Minn. (June 28, 1912)

W.B. MacLachlan for over ten years a boatman on Bemidji lake, last spring launched the new “City of Bemidji” and the boat attracted attention from all points of Northern Minnesota as one of the best equipped passenger boats on the northern lakes… Last summer was not a particularly successful season for the Bemidji boatman as the cold weather crippled the summer resort business. (March 29, 1913)

Captain W. B. MacLachlan announced today that he had discontinued all except one of the boat trips of the “City of Bemidji.” The boat will only make its regular Sunday trips to the dam. “The summer season is about over,” said Captain MacLachlan today. “Nearly everyone have left their summer homes. There are only five families at Lavinia and Lakeside. Of course there still are a number of people at the hotel and I will continue to make special trips. However, I have made preparations to begin logging work. Next year I am going to put a speedy express boat in operation to better my summer service.” (Sept 14, 1915)

15646-MacLachlan-City-of-Be


The Express

NEW PASSENGER BOAT

Former Bemidji Man Places New Service on Lake From Walker
Dean Reynolds, formerly of Bemidji, but for ten years a resident of Walker, is to place a new passenger boat service on Lake Bemidji. Today Reynolds placed a large launch, “The Express,” in the water and he plans to make four scheduled trips around the lake each day, two in the morning and two in the afternoon, beginning tomorrow.

The “Express,” a boat 38 feet long and with a 100 horse-power motor, has been in use on Leech Lake. Mr. Reynolds will continue to operate two boats on Leech Lake. No regular evening trips will .he made and Mr. Reynolds says the boat may be chartered at any time.(Aug 8, 1915)

SEASON FOR “EXPRESS” BOAT LAKE BEMIDJI ENDS

Dean Reynolds, son of George Reynolds of Walker, who has operated the “Express” on Lake Bemidji for the past month, has taken his boat out of the lake for this season and has gone to Minneapolis where he will take up his work as electrician during the winter months. He will return to Bemidji in the spring and will operate his boat again. (Sept 18, 1915)

George Reynolds will begin the operation of his passenger launch “Express” the first of next week. Regular trips will be made to the different points on the lake. A schedule will be announced later. (Aug 4, 1916)


Favorite (1899)

Jesse H. Scarrott, formerly of Crookston, has secured one of the best locations at the foot of Third Street on Lake Bemidji and will run excursions during the season on his celebrated boats, “Favorite” and “Shadow,” and will also have smaller boats to fill the wants of all lovers of water craft this year. He will operate on Lake Bemidji and Cass Lake and connecting waters. (May 4, 1899)


Indian Girl

Kelsey’s “Indian Girl,” One of Fastest on Lake, to Make Regular Trips.

The “Indian Girl,” a new power boat, built by its owner, John W. Kelsey, was launched in Lake Bemidji Wednesday afternoon. The boat has made several trial trips and proved a leader on Bemidji lake.

Equipped with a thirty horse power Smalley engine, the “Indian Girl” can be driven at a rate of fifteen to eighteen miles an hour.  It will conveniently carry twenty passengers.

The new boat will be for public use and Mr. Kelsey will cater especially to private picnic parties and others wishing to be taken to points on the shores of Lake Bemidji and down the Mississippi river to the Warfield Dam. His boat will be in readiness at all times at the city pier.

The “Indian Girl,” will carry & large number of life preservers, and will never leave without having enough to supply every passenger on board. It is built along the lines of a racer and is considered one of the most graceful boats on the lake. Mr. Kelsey has made many boats and launches that are in use on Lake Bemidji. He has made it a practice to build only the best grade of boats. Among those who own boats built by the Kelsey Boat company of Bemidji are, J. E. Youngren, Del Burgess, Lee LaBaw, H. M. Stanton, and many others. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, June 23, 1911)

Among the better boats are those owned by John Kelsey, “The Beltrami,” a new $4,000 boat he has built this winter, when completed will be the very finest of its kind in northern Minnesota. The “Indian Girl” is another Kelsey boat. The Storm King, the Yankee Doodle and launches owned by A. P. Chandler, A. A. Warfield, Harry Masten, F. S. Lycan, M. S. Gillette and Gill Brothers are among the high class boats that will be seen on Lake Bemidji. (May 1911)

Indian Girl Damaged.
A back-fire in the carburetor of the engine in Captain Kelsey’s “Indian Girl” yesterday afternoon caused a small damage to the boat. The flames set fire to some gasoline and the woodwork was slightly damaged. (May 8, 1912)

Indian Girl in Commission.
Captain Kelsey’s “Indian Girl” will start its summer season tomorrow morning when it will make its first trip to the Warfield dam at 9 a.m.  Each day during the summer, the Indian Girl will leave the city dock at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. making the round trip to the dam each time. The schedule has been so arranged that picnic parties can go down in the morning and return about 5 p. m. or parties can go down in the afternoon and spend two hours at the dam. Fishing down river has been good this year and large strings of pike and rock bass are being caught daily Captain Kelsey says that the “Indian Girl” will stop anywhere along the river to discharge or receive passengers. (May 25, 1912)

John W. Kelsey left this morning for Federal Dam, where he will spend several days looking after his boat livery, which he is conducting on the chain of lakes near that place. Mr. Kelsey has taken his boat, the “Indian Girl” to that town and expects to do business there throughout the coming summer. (June 15, 1912)

Mr. Kelsey was a boat builder by trade and made his home In Bemidji for about 18 years, building boats and also operating boats on the lake here. He moved to Federal Dam about four years ago. He died on August 16, 1918.

 


Keemar (1911)

While in mid lake before noon today, the 26-foot $600 launch, “Keemar” owned by Harry Masten, director of the Bemidji band, was caught in a sudden wind storm and capsized and sank in twenty feet of water.  Mr. Masten is constructing a summer cottage across the lake at Riverside and recently made almost daily trips, usually taking Mrs. Masten with him.  When Mr. Masten left shore, the water was as smooth as a sheet.  When about half way across the lake, the wind suddenly began to blow in gusts kicking up a choppy sea.  Finally one billow, larger than any of the others, caught the launch and rolled her over as if she were an egg shell.  Mr. Masten said he jumped into the water.  The water was very cold, when Mr. Anderson, of the Kelsey boat building firm, came along with a launch and picked him up.  The engine then quit on the Anderson launch, and both men were required to paddle to shore.  The “Keemar” was a new boat, named after the Boston music school from which Mrs. Masten graduated.  It was launched this spring and was one of the best boats on the lake.  Immediate steps will be taken to raise the boat, but its dynamos and storage batteries will be a complete loss.  (Bemidji Pioneer, June 8, 1911)


Lady Bemidji (1898)

The Lady Bemidji

Carl Carlson, Admiral, the Head of the First Steamer on Lake Bemidji – The Lady Bemidji Launched a Week Ago

Carl Carlson, the lord high admiral of Lady Bemidji, the first steamboat launched on Lake Bemdji. A week ago last Saturday he launched from his shipyard on Block A, a paddle wheel steamr 60 feet long and 20 feet wide on deck and of a draught of 18 inches. The young lady slid into the water as gracefully as a duck, and before her engines were put in, drew but six inches of ater, which as increased to ten inches after the engine was hoisted in.

The boat as built under the active supervision of John A. Burkman, who came to Bemidji from Calumet shipyard for the purpose, and who received his engineering and boat building education at Port Huron yards.

The deck of the vessel has been housed since launching and the rooms will be nicely furnished for comfort of passengers, into two sitting rooms the engine setting well to the rear. The upper deck will be floored for dancing and will carry a canopy top, so that quite an excursion party will find Terpsichore a portion of their trips.

The boat has been licensed to carry 200 passengers, and be commanded by Mr. Burkman who will also act as engineer. By June 25th it is expected she will be open to engagements, and then all Bemidji will be asked to turn out and dedicate her. Carl has invested about $1,200 in the vessel, and Bemidji is to be congratulated on at length having something to accommodate lake excursionists. (Bemidji Weekly Pioneer, June 16, 1898)


Lavinia

M. S. Titus who has a cottage at Lake Side, has launched his new boat “Lavinia” on Bemidji and will no doubt have many pleasant trips with it throughout his stay here. (June 26, 1907)


Lutefisk

Forty Year old Tug Belonging to the Lumber Company Sinks in Fifty Feet of Water

Lutefisk Goes to the Bottom.
The good ship Lutefisk, operated by the Crookston Lumber company as a herder of stray logs, went to the bottom of the lake in about fifteen feet of water this morning. The Lutefisk was lying alongside of the company’s boom with the engine quiet. The men noticed that the north wind was pushing the boat up on the boom but before the engine could be started to back her off, the boom tipped her up and the water came in over the side flooding the engine room and filling the hold. The boat will be raised. (Bemidji Pioneer, May 11, 1912)

Lake Bemidji had its second marine disaster of the present season on Saturday morning by the sinking of the Lutefiske. The tug boat, owned and operated for the past several years by the Crookston Lumber Company. The boat had just left the dock to begin the summer’s season. While proceeding on its usual work on the log boom of the Crookston Company at the south end of Lake Bemidji, the strong north wind swept its prow up onto the logs, and before the crew could prevent it, another huge wave dashed into the fire box of the engine and filled the stern of the boat. Captain Hanson and his crew only abandoned ship after all hope of saving it had disappeared. The boat went down in fifty feet of water. (Bemidji Sentinel, May 17, 1912)

 


Lutefisk #2

LAUNCH “LUTEFISK” NO. 2

New Steamboat Built By Lumber Company In Water

“Lutefisk” number two, has been launched and will be put into use this fall gathering logs in Lake Bemidji. The boat resembles the old steamboat which was formerly used by the company for this purpose but which sank in Lake Bemidji last year. This boat was christened “Lutefisk” by the mill men. The new craft is capable of traveling ten miles an hour and is equipped with a large steam engine. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, Sept 25, 1913)


Mayflower

The Mayflower has begun its regular ferry trips to the head of the lake. (May 2, 1901)

Some invited guests were generously entertained by the host and hostess of Hotel Markham on Sunday last. Music was furnished by the Andrew Kimmons-Prince Co., guitar and mandolin players. In the afternoon the Mayflower was chartered and a pleasant trip around the lake was indulged in. (Sept 26, 1901)

About two years ago Captain Benner of the Mayflower was caught in a severe storm on the lake here, of which the sudden squall Sunday evening reminded him forcibly. This time W. F. Street, son and daughter, Mrs. Wood, Miss McMahon and William Kaiser were with him, and they are willing to testify that it is not always necessary for a boat to capsize to prove that the water is wet. (Bemidji Pioneer, Sept 26, 1901)


The Moose

The “Moose” was built in 1900.  The “Moose” had a mast, and was used as a sail boat and that MacLachlan had used it on the river.

“The Moose” is the largest and considered the most reliable craft on the lake. It is in place to say that Lake Bemidji is a rough body of water when a gale strikes it, and I speak from experience. “The Moose” carries passengers to and from the Turtle River stage route, and braves all kinds of storms. (Bemidji Pioneer, Oct 17, 1901)

Wm. MacLachlan announces that the passenger boat “The Moose” will be launched Monday. Mr. MacLachlan has made considerable repairs to the boat and it is one of the staunchest on the lake. The launching this year is several days later than usual and for the past five years the “Moose” has made regular trips to the head of the lake May 1, a feat that will be impossible to accomplish tomorrow. (April 30, 1904)

Ice Boat Broke Down.
The “Big Moose” an ice boat which Captain W. B. MacLachlan has had in course of construction for some time past, was finished Saturday and taken out on its trial trip yesterday morning. The craft behaved beautifully but while coming around the turn at the south end of Lake Bemidji the forward runner struck a crack and the boat stopped suddenly, breaking the mast and bowsprit. As a result the boat is out of commission but will be put onto the ice again as soon as the necessary repairs are made. (Dec 12, 1904)

Moose Launched
Captain W. B. MacLachlan Saturday afternoon launched his boat, the “Moose,” and is now
making preparations to put the vessel into commission on Lake Bemidji. The boat has been entirely overhauled and is in excellent condition for work during the summer season. (Apr 24, 1905)

Teachers’ training school in Bemidji, together with the instructors and conductor, were this afternoon entertained by Superintendent Regan on an excursion to Rocky point, at the north end of Lake Bemidji, on the Moose. (July 11, 1905)

Capt. W. B. MacLachlan has returned with his boat, the “Moose,” from a successful trip up the Mississippi river between Bemidji to Lake Plantagenet, The river between Bemidji and Lake Plantagenet has been regarded as too shallow to allow the passage of a boat the size of the “Moose,” but Mr. MacLachlan’s trip is evidence that at the present time, at least, the voyage can be accomplished by almost any boat on the lake. (July 11, 1905)

The Moose was still operating on the lake in 1909.


The North Star

NORTH STAR

Mr. MacLachlan operates the spic and span steamer, the North Star, which plies between the various resorts and beaches skirting Lake Bemidji. The boat he commands touches at Bemidji Beach, the most famous and sandy beach in the West and Northwest Chatauqua Beach, Pine Beach, Lake Side, Oakwood, Highland Park, Lavinia, Birchmont, and other minor points, all ideal places for spending either a day or a season. The boat makes regularly scheduled trips, it is well provided with a sufficiency of life preservers and fire apparatus, and is as safe as a steamer can possibly be made.

Capt. MacLachlan personally manages every trip made by the North Star. He does not leave the responsibility of suitably caring for passengers to subordinates, but directs with his own orders what shall and shall not be done for the convenience, comfort and enjoyment of those who are under his care. He has made a veritable floating palace of the North Star, and there is no modern want which is not available on his attractive boat.
Those who are wise enough to take advantage of a trip on Capt. McLachlan’s boat will be brought to realize the beauty and comfort of Bemidji as a pleasure resort. They will be entranced by the scenery which abounds around and about Lake Bemidji, they will profit by the invigorating and clear atmosphere which pervades this region, and they will, with one accord, elect Capt. MacLachlan one of the most royal entertainers and boats men who ever essayed to navigate a steamboat.

Capt. MacLachlan is a gentleman of polish and experience who ranks among the first of river men. He can be relied upon to supply every element for either pleasure, necessity or emergency, and he is a hearty and hail-fellow-well-met personage. He makes a study of furnishing all needed accoutrements requisite for a genuinely relishable trip and he is noted both as an able boat captain and host. He is also among our most thriving and energetic business men. (Mar 27, 1909)


See Jones

“SEE JONES” GONE

Steamboat Belonging to W. C. Jones Has Been Lost Since Last Sunday.

The “See Jones”, a valuable steamboat of which W. C. Jones is captain, is nowhere to be found, and Mr. Jones thinks that it has either been stolen or has foundered in Lake Bemidji. The last seen of the missing craft was when it was riding at anchor a short distance out from the Third street dock last Sunday night, and all search for the missing boat has been of no avail. It is probable that the anchor rope has worn off and it drifted out to sea and sunk in deep water. (8/26/1904)


Shadow

A pleasure party of 32 Bemidji people chartered the Shadow for an afternoon’s outing, Tuesday. (1900)

I.O.O.F. Picnic
Fair and smiling was the day which the Bemidji lodge No. 119, and I.O.O.F., had chartered for their first annual outing on Lake Bemidji. About eleven o’clock last Sunday, the first boatload of the “Three-Linkers,” their families and friends, left the dock for a six-mile voyage to T. B. Walker’s “Rocky Point,” at the northern end of the lake.

The remodeled and enlarged Shadow had been secured for the day, and Captain Sutton, of Scarrot & Sutton, its owners, must have overheard enough complimentary remarks from the passengers to assure him that the Shadow is bound to be a great favorite with excursion parties. The boat has seating room for 50 passengers, but can carry twice that number. A four-horse wood burning engine furnishes sufficient power to send the boat along at an eight-miles-an-hour gait. The boat moves with hardly any jar, even when the engine is pounding the hardest.

The trip was made in quick time through the perfectly-calm waters and past countless floating logs. A lady seated in a row boat trailing behind the steamer had her umbrella destroyed by flying sparks, which furnished the only excitement.  (May 24, 1900)

An excursion will be given by the Bemidji Boat Co. on the Shadow every Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock around the lake. (June 1900)

The Shadow will leave the dock at foot of Third street at 2:30 p. m., and head of lake at 3 p. m. every day. Round trip to head of the lake, 25 cents: one way, 25 cents. BEMIDJI BOAT Co. (Sept 6, 1900)

Moonlight Excursion on the Shadow for the Old Settlers Organization in Aug 21, 1902. Old Settlers organized in 1901.

The Shadow carried the fireworks to be used in the May 17, 1901 celebration. A terrible tragedy followed when several died after the fireworks were set off accidentally and several people were burned or drowned in the events that immediately followed on Lake Bemidji.


The Skud

ICE BOAT WRECKED GOING AT EXPRESS TRAIN SPEED

Crookston Lumber Co. Boys Have an Exciting Spill Damage Soon Repaired.

John Lucas’ big ice boat, “The Skud,” was “wrecked” early yesterday morning during the high wind, and “Luke,” Kimball Southworth and Hugo Scharf, who were enjoying a sixty-mile an hour ride, had an experience which they tell of with a liberal sprinkling of exclamation points. The boys had boarded the craft for a sail across the lake to their work at the Crookston Lumber company offices, and were headed toward the river on a port tack, when the stays on the windward side snapped and the heavy mast and sail fell to the ice. The mast is set in the big beam around which the cock-pit is built, and as it fell, tipped the beam and spilled the boys out of the pit. They were not hurt, as the pit is only a foot or so above the ice, but they slid for  forty or fifty feet on their overcoats before the emergency brakes would work. A few hours work put the ice boat in running order again. (Dec 7, 1906)


The Swallow

A merry party started out in the “Swallow”, with their lunch baskets, from Grand Forks Bay this morning and went to the Mississippi outlet to picnic and explore the woods for blueberries. The party consisted of the Templeton and Jordan families with their guests. (July 27, 1907)

The Viking company owns a 14-horsepower gasoline launch, named “The Swallow,” which can be rented for a reasonable figure. (May 25, 1909)


Tip Toe

“Tip Toe” is the name of a cute launch owned by the City Boat House people. A large row boat has been fitted up to be propelled by a tiny gasoline engine one and one-half horsepower. (July 11, 1901)

Some invited guests were generously entertained by the host and hostess of Hotel Markham on Sunday last. Music was furnished by the Andrew Kimmons-Prince Co., guitar and mandolin players. In the afternoon the Mayflower was chartered and a pleasant trip around the lake was indulged in. (Sept 26, 1901)

About two years ago Captain Benner of the Mayflower was caught in a severe storm on the lake here, of which the sudden squall Sunday evening reminded him forcibly. This time W. F. Street, son and daughter, Mrs. Wood, Miss McMahon and William Kaiser were with him, and they are willing to testify that it is not always necessary for a boat to capsize to prove that the water is wet. (Sept 26, 1901)

Up the Schoolcraft.
A merry yachting party aboard the “Tip Toe,” E. H. Jerrard’s famous naptha launch, on Sunday afternoon sailed up the placid waters of the “Father of Waters,” switching off into the Schoolcraft bound for Plantaganet. The scenery along this narrow but deep stream of water is indescribable, and especially at this time of the year when nature seems to outdo itself in its many hues of gorgeous colors a foreground standing from pale yellow into pink, from that to dark red and even purple, the background of which is the dark green of the stately pines. It is said that nature loves curves, and the Schoolcraft river has more than the usual allowance in fact, it is one continual curve.

The faithful “Tip Toe” seemed to take fiendish pleasure in pushing her nose in and out of the curves at a good rate of speed. The creek in some places is almost canopied by the lavish growth of huge elms making a nook that I leave for a m6re poetical mind to describe. For miles we heard no sound save the engine of the boat, the grandeur of the scenery having impressed its occupants, and as with one accord the frivolities of the day were forgotten, and in its place was a silent communion with nature and its mysteries. After having gone four or five miles up the river the party was amazed to find an enormous elm had thrown itself completely across the stream, making further progress impossible. We were, therefore obliged to return, not, however, until refreshments had been served and a picture of the party taken by a kodak fiend. The trip was one of pleasure throughout, the magnificent scenery, the beautiful day, the fascinating boat ride, and last but not least, the company with whom we went blended so admirably that event will always be a pleasant memory to look back upon. Our homeward trip was enjoyably spent by the rendition of songs and after dinner speeches. The party arrived at the clock at p.m., well satisfied with the day’s outing and a vote of thanks was tendered the gallant captain, whose hospitality will never be forgotten.
ONE OF THE PARTY (October 3, 1901)

Lake Bemidji is about three miles wide and seven and one-half long. The Mississippi river runs through it, and its width at this point is surprisingly narrow compared to what it is at Sauk Rapids. One can jump across, and with the aid of a few stepping stones and some logs it was an easy matter to span it. The lake abounds in pike, pickerel, perch and white fish, the latter denoting the great depth of the water, as that specie is only found in deep water, such as the great lakes. Several launches owned by private parties ply the waters. “The Moose” is the largest and considered the most reliable craft on the lake. It is in place to say that Lake Bemidji is a rough body of water when a gale strikes it, and I speak from experience. “The Moose” carries passengers to and from the Turtle River stage route, and braves all kinds of storms. Then there is the “Bertha,” the “Shadow,” the “Mayflower,” the “Lady of the Lake,” and the dauntless “Tip Toe” all pleasure going crafts. The shore line is a thing of beauty that no one can fail to appreciate, and it is a source of wonder why the place had not been resurrected, so to speak, long ere this. As a summer resort it has no equal. The surrounding country is being settled up very rapidly. (Oct 17, 1901)

It was my good fortune to be a part of many a trip via the water route aboard E. H. Jerrard’s launch, the “Tip Toe.” Mr. Jerrard is truly a perfect host, and never have I participated in such jolly times as we had steaming down the lake or river as the case was. His launch ranks second to none on the lake, and in a rough sea rides the waves like a duck. (Oct 17, 1901)


Viking (1900)

The steamboat “Viking” will make trips to Hanson’s place, north end of the lake, every Monday and Thursday hereafter. Will arrive at Hanson’s place at 1 o’clock p. m. Leave for
Bemidji at 1:30 p. m. (June 21, 1900)


Yankee Doodle (1909)

A large party from Grand Forks Bay were passengers on the Yankee Doodle Friday afternoon to the dam. The dam is from five to seven miles down the outlet of the Mississippi river and is one of the most delightful trips imaginable. (July 17, 1909)


Yankee Girl (1918)

Capt. W. B. MacLachlan has made arrangements with G. W. Cochran, Sr., to take care of his hotel boat service. The “Yankee Girl” is the new boat and will be run on the same plan as the “City of Bemidji” was run, having a regular schedule. (July 1, 1918)